After 6 months of design and testing we are delighted to announce a replacement for using worry beads. Some people are uncomfortable using worry beads for a number of reasons and we wanted to take the principles we use in our worry beads and create something which worked as well but did not have the beads.
The 1Pear (fribble) stress toy is made from leather and a choice of English hard woods so each set will be completely unique. The leather is untreated and the wood will only have a single coat of oil on it so after use the 1Pear (fribble) will change over time. The wood will mellow with age and the leather soften.
As with worry beads the benefits come through their distraction and hand kinetics to help you relax. Here are a few ways in which you can use a 1Pear (fribble) but it has been designed so its use is only limited by your imagination:
- Move the pear from one end to the other as slow as possible. When new the leather will offer resistance to the wood however after many hours of use as the leather becomes polished the pear will move easily. To get back that resistance hold the leather cord at an angle to the channel through the pear. Even without this method when moving the pear very slowly the leather will resist against the wood. To increase the distraction watch what you are doing, it is extremely hard to think of anything else.
- In addition to moving the pear move each of the leather pieces as they are freed up from the pear.
- Hold one end of the cord and slowly run your fingers down the cord. The leather will initially feel soft but with an hour or two of this it will start to become rough as the oil from your fingers works into the leather. Persevere for another 10 – 20 hours and the leather cord becomes polished and smooth to the touch. The 1Pear (fribble) has truly changed to become personal to you.
- Leave the base of the pear at one knot and the leather hoop at the other end. The 1Pear (fribble) can now be used to do all the tricks you can do with a 2Pear trick set. Be warned it is much more difficult, as the end without the wooden pear is very light, so a 1Pear(fribble) may be a nice upgrade from a 2Pear if you have run out of tricks to learn.
- Place a finger between the leather hoop and the cord so that it can be freely spun around your finger. Swing the pear in a circular motion, but not fast, that is too easy. The goal is to see how slow you can rotate the pear smoothly, Once again watch what you are doing and you will become easily absorbed.
A far better option than the usual “stress toys”. At last a stress toy that can be used by children and adults.
If you are already a “chilled” person but find yourself always fiddling with something why not try a 1Pear (fribble). They are a lot more interesting to “twiddle” than chewing a pen or biting your nails!
The English Worry Bead Co.