To learn how to use worry beads first you must identify what you are trying to achieve.
There are three key areas of benefit that can be gained from using worry beads:
- To relax or concentrate
- A time of high anxiety
- To replace a bad habit.
That done, identify the type of worry beads that will give you the most benefit.
Only then learn how to use the worry beads. We will take you through this process for the three areas.
To relax or concentrate
You may be excused for thinking that concentration is the complete opposite of relaxation. This is not the case and studies have proved that when relaxed, problems are resolved far easier. It is therefore the same worry beads and techniques that work for relaxation and concentration.
The 1Pear, 2Pear (combo) or 3Pear sets are the most effective. To get the maximum benefit all the actions should be undertaken slowly. Your heart rate will be forced to mimic this slow pace and makes you relaxed. This in turn allows your brain to operate to maximum efficiency.
- Hold the pear of the 1Pear in one hand and the stones in the other. Slowly release each stone seeing how slow you can make the stones move. Once all the stones have been moved, swap hands. Once you have achieved a very slow rate, start two stones off together and try moving them together
- Gently rub the wooden pear(s) in a slow rhythm. Each wood has a slightly different texture so experiment with different woods. The pears are all individually turned so learn their shape using just touch
- Hold each pear of the 2Pear (combo) in either hand. Feel the differences between the two pears by touch. Hold the stones at one end and release each stone in turn, tipping the pear being travelled towards very slightly to achieve the slowest rate
- If you opted for a slice on the 2Pear (combo) gather the stones and slice at one end. Then lower one pear very gently until the slice starts to move from the first stone, onto the second. The stones should not move. The dimensions of the slice have been carefully sized so that you will notice a slight stop when each stone is fully covered. At some point the stones will also start moving towards the lowered pear. Try to keep the slice on top of one stone and when all the stones arrive at the second pear continue to “walk” the slice over the remaining stones stopping at each stone as you go. To get this to work you will have to concentrate very hard. This is possibly the best technique you can apply for relaxation. You will also find if you are trying to solve a problem by clearing your head and not trying to force an answer the solution will come “out of the blue”.
- The 3Pear provides you with three hand turned wooden pears. Explore the differences in the pears by rubbing them with a finger or thumb
- Study the three pears to see the interesting grains in the woods
- Learn to roll the three pears in one hand moving them in different directions. Remember to always move the pears slowly to get the maximum benefit
- A 1Pear (king) is used in the same way as a standard 1Pear but as the pear is much larger it is designed for those people who love wood. The size of the pear will fit into the palm of most hands.
A time of high anxiety
Anxiety is like a car going down-hill with no brakes, it just keeps getting faster!
What the worry beads do is distract you from the anxiety but also help calm you.
We recommend you use a 2Pear or 2Pear (combo) to do tricks or even better learn new tricks. Learning a trick gives the maximum benefit. If you are not yet ready for a new trick but are proficient with your existing tricks try using the hand you do not normally use. The more mistakes you make the better the benefits. Whilst this is frustrating it directs your emotions towards the trick and away from the harmful anxiety.
Once you have been frustrated enough and find your thoughts being solely directed at the tricks then if you are using a 2Pear change over to a 1Pear, 1Pear (king) or 3Pear to help you relax. If you find your anxiety returning, go back to the tricks but always finish with the 1Pear, 1Pear (king) or 3Pear to give you the best possible chance of staying relaxed.
Many other tricks can be found on the internet using video clips and various diagrams. Depending on how you learn use this material appropriately.
To replace a bad habit
Bad habits are, a reflex that we find ourselves doing, but would rather not. These can include; eating too much, biting our nails, picking scabs, smoking, drinking too much alcohol but they can be almost anything you do, but want to stop.
How the worry beads work is to create a replacement habit for the one you wish to stop. This is not a quick fix and still requires a degree of will-power but once mastered can be a great tool to help.
When you would normally do your bad habit, is the time to use a 1Pear, 1Pear (king), 2Pear (combo) or 3Pear set. What you are aiming to do is create an association so that when you wish to have a cigarette or a biscuit or whatever your habit is, then you will grab your worry beads. Using the worry beads will relax you and make you feel good. After several days, maybe even weeks if you are unlucky, you will want the nice feelings the worry beads give you, instead of the bad habit you wish to lose. It may seem unbelievable but IT WORKS!
For the intense craving you can get with giving up bad habits, we would recommend using a 2Pear or 2Pear (combo) to learn or try various tricks. The concentration required should give the craving a “fair fight” for your thoughts. Keep pushing yourself to perfect newer tricks and eventually the craving will be forgotten. Once again this is not a quick fix and getting started will require your will-power but over time it will get easier.
When you have become immersed in the tricks and forgotten your craving, finish off with a 1Pear, 1Pear (king), 2Pear (combo) or 3Pear to relax and to train your mind into liking the replacement for the bad habit.
Caring for Your English Worry Beads
The wood and leathers in the worry bead sets are natural and as such need to be cared for. This can be done by mere use, as the oil in your hands will condition/dis-colour the wood and keep the leather supple. Customers have commented that it is this personalisation by their use, that makes their sets of worry beads special to them.
If you wish to condition the wood, to give them protection from water or sunlight then any household wood treatment (wax or oil), will give different affects.
To keep them looking as close to new as possible apply at least five coats of Danish Oil. Please been warned that this thickness of protection will lose the texture of the grain.
- Be creative when using your English Worry Beads
- 21 days makes a habit, and worry beads are a great habit to have
- If it is not appropriate to use your English Worry Beads (eg. in an important meeting) and it is possible to get the same effect as actually using them
- A great trick to reduce your heart rate. Move or swing the worry beads at a slow rate, your heart mimics the slower rate
- Worry Beads are NOT a cure, you will need will-power as well.